Saturday, August 29, 2009

Asking Or Demanding?

The story of Job is becoming all too familiar and I feel like I am in danger of encountering the same experience with God. Job had everything going for Him and then had it all taken and cried out to God as to why all this happened. God’s response happens in chapter 38 and as I read through this again in my circumstances I hear God asking me the same questions.

I recently had to shut down my painting business because of economic depression. I have a job now which I am thankful for, but it barely lets me get by. I will not get into a huge sob story of how bad I think I have it right now but will cap things off with this. Last night on my way home my truck died. This morning at the shop they told me that my head gasket had blown and would need a new engine. I don’t know why all these things are piling up on me right now and I am asking God all kinds of questions and all I can hear is His response to Job.

“The Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind and said ‘Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge? Now gird up your loins like a man and I will ask you, and you instruct me! Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell me if you have any understanding, who set its measurements? Since you know…”

We can come to God and cry out to Him in tough times in our life and there is nothing wrong with that. The book of Psalms is an interaction between David and God with Him crying out to Him in dire circumstances. The problem is in how we cry out to Him. Job was crying out demanding answers for why he was going through his situation as if God owed him an explanation. God doesn’t owe us an explanation for what we go through. The pressure of life can become a heavy burden that we can try and carry on our own, but the promise that Jesus offers to us can relieve of this burden. He says to “Come to me all you are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest” Matt. 11:28.

I will say with all honesty and humility that I feel weary and heavy laden. My prayer is this. “Lord Jesus Christ, son of God, have mercy on me for thinking you owe me an explanation for things that happen in life. God would you please give me and all those who are overwhelmed rest. We don’t need answers to why things are the way they are, but would you come through in such a way that You would be put on display and Your power would be made known. Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment