Thursday, September 3, 2009

Interpretation

After much consideration after my last post on whether women should be leaders in the church and from what God has been speaking to me I feel it necessary to say a few things before I post the other side. I have also got some very interesting emails from people on this topic.

1. I know this is a very controversial topic and the reason I talk about it is to not prove anyone wrong or me being right. It is simply me researching this on my own time trying to understand a very controversial topic in scripture.

2. If you are offended by what scripture teaches then you need to check your heart.

3. You must understand the context of what was going on culturally to be able to have an accurate understanding of what Paul and the writers of the Bible are trying to say.

4. Research does not mean a literal interpretation.

5. Paul and other writers use some very foundational Old Testament passages to affirm their argument.

6. I do not intend to argue with people on what scripture teaches, but to list the facts.

7. If you cannot handle the facts of context then you need to re-think what the author meant…. (might not want to do that)

8. (almost feels like I am making a top 10 list)

9. (last one cause I do not want to make a top 10 list) Is a literal interpretation the best method all the time?

The reason I throw all these things at out is because one of the things I have learned from my professors at Trinity College of Florida is that if you want to learn the most then you have to ask questions. If you cannot respond then it means that you have not thought through it all the way. These questions are to help you think your way through the process of drawing a final conclusion of what scripture teaches with the help of the Holy Spirit as you listen to Him and He guides you through scripture. My prayer is this “May God open our eyes and ears to see and hear what he has to say to you through His word. God have mercy on us and grant us Your wisdom. Speak to us now. Amen”

1 comment:

  1. I love having questions.. I often have to many.. Like.. Why can't your Top 10 - #10 state - Teneille is AWESOME!!! huh.. I think that would round it out nicely... lol.. Seriously though.. think about it.. Anyway, I can't wait to read your other side.. quit keeping me in suspense.. :)

    ReplyDelete