Thursday, September 10, 2009

Looking Out For The Needs Of Others

I recently posted a blog about a situation I was dealing with and my frustration with God. My truck died and was going to cost about $3500 for the mechanic to replace the engine. I did not and still do not have the money to fix my truck but had a friend who read the post and has been an answer to prayer. I was asking God to provide a way for me to get to work and back until I was able to have my truck fixed and God has shown His provision in answering my prayer.

My friend recently had to leave the country due to unexpected circumstances. They read my post and have generously offered to let me use their vehicle in the states until my truck gets fixed. It immediately reminded me of Philippians 2:3-4 which talks about looking out for the interests of others and not only our own circumstances. My friend is having a very hard time dealing with the fact they had to leave the U.S. without any say in the matter and the chance of them coming back is going to take a long time for paperwork to be processed. Regardless of how hard they seem to have it they have modeled this concept in Philippians. They are not just looking out for their own interests but also of others. They could have been so fixated on how bad their circumstance is that they overlooked the need of someone else.

When this person contacted me I was floored at seeing God provide, but even more so by the fact that they overlooked how bad things were for them. If only we could see more of this in the church today. Not that it is not happening today, but what if it was more evident, especially in the dire times that we seem to be in economically? One thing that has spoken to me is that God’s provision is not limited to border lines or continents but extends and reaches beyond what we could think. God has answered my prayer and provided for me from a place I never even thought of looking. How often do we look at what is in front of our and question whether God is there? Things seem dim and no hope can be seen, but God has shown His power to be able to break racial and continental barriers before. Why can’t He still do it today? My challenge in all of this is this. Where and to who are you looking to provide for your needs? Are you fixated on your own circumstances and not looking out for others when you can provide what they need. My friend has really been a blessing to me and it was not because they wanted to be put on display so they could be seen as a great person, but because they were doing what the Bible tells us to do.

Who is in your life that needs help and you can help them? Are you willing to look past your circumstance and help them without reciprocation?

Thanks friend (who will remain anonymous) for being an answer to prayer! Will you be the answer to someone else’s need? I hope I can say yes when the time comes and look past how bad I think I may have it to be a blessing to someone else and be what God has called the church to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment